Stemming From 2003 Slaying of Homeless Man
WASHINGTON, DC – April 4, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — Alfred Evans, 28, of Washington, D.C., was convicted by a jury today of charges stemming from the April 2003 murder of Reginald Brighthart, a 35-year-old homeless man, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced.
The jury returned its verdict following a week-long trial in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. Evans was convicted of charges of first degree felony murder while armed and obstruction of justice. The Honorable Lynn Leibovitz scheduled his sentencing for June 29, 2011. Evans faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.
According to the governmentâ€™s evidence, Evans, who uses the nickname â€śStink,â€ť and Frank Johnson, who uses the nickname â€śJ.R.,â€ť killed the victim in the early morning hours of April 7, 2003. Evidence showed that Johnson first attacked Mr. Brighthart in front of an apartment in the 2800 block of Robinson Place SE. He and Evans then chased the victim into an abandoned apartment. Johnson and Evans forced Mr. Brighthart to put his head in a toilet and beg for his children before they shot him to death.
Evans later attempted to obstruct justice by placing phone calls from his jail cell in hopes of silencing a witness against him.
Johnson, now 30, was convicted for his role in this murder following a jury trial in 2009. He was sentenced to 58 years in prison by the Honorable Herbert B. Dixon, Jr. In announcing the verdict rendered today, U.S. Attorney Machen commended the efforts of Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Cold Case/Major Case Detectives Darryl Richmond and Mitchell Credle, and Mobile Crime Officers Kemper Agee, James Savage and Kevin Jeter. Detective Richmond was praised for his tenacity in investigating this case. Detectives Richmond and Credle were also lauded for obtaining two statements from Evans which proved instrumental in this verdict. U.S. Attorney Machen also commended the work of U.S. Attorney Office employees Paul Howell, Thomas (Ron) Royal, Kimberley Smith, Joshua Ellen, and William Henderson of the Litigation Support Services Unit; Paralegal Alesha Matthews Yette, and Victim
Witness Assistant Unit Security Specialist Maretta L. Forrest. He further commended Assistant U.S. Attorneys Deborah Sines and Michelle Jackson, who were involved in the investigation and presentation of evidence during several trials involving this murder.
- Man Convicted of Killing Northwest Washington Couple
WASHINGTON, DC - December 13, 2010 - (RealEstateRama) -- Jose Portillo, 22, was convicted by a jury today of first degree felony murder and other charges in the November 2008 slayings of Virginia and Michael Spevak, who were attacked while in their Northwest Washington home, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. and Cathy L. Lanier, Chief of the Metropolitan Police...
- South Carolina REALTORSÂ® Release August Market Numbers
COLUMBIA, S.C. - September 15, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- South Carolina REALTORSÂ® (SCR) today released its August 2011 statewide market reports. Despite some choppy waters in August, there have been noteworthy shifts on both sides of the closing tabl......
- Canyon Gate Real Estate Servicesâ€™ Vice President Kim Corcoran Named to APCM Board of Directors
Albuquerque, NM - September 23, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Canyon Gate Real Estate Services, an Associa company, is pleased to announce Vice President Kim Corcoran was recently elected to the Association of Professional Community Managers (APCM) Boa......
- Two District Teenagers Plead Guilty to Burglary Charges
WASHINGTON, DC - March 29, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Jaquan Bragg and Tavon Barber, both 16 and both from Washington, D.C., have pleaded guilty to charges stemming from a recent burglary in Northwest Washington, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. announced....
- Author China Mieville, Housing Executive Sharon Lee, Humorist Roy Blunt, Jr., Open Spaces Magazine in SEATTLE CHANNELâ€™s Viewerguide for July 14-21
Seattle, WA - July 15, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) Seattle Voices with Eric Liu Low Income Housing Instituteâ€™s Sharon Lee Premieres Tues., July 19, 7 p.m. Sharon Lee is the Executive Director of the Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI), a non-profit o......
- ERC and NCLR Investigation Uncovers Housing Discrimination against Latinos in Three Major Metropolitan Areas
- VA Awards SSVF Surge Funding to 56 Communities
- CBRE ARRANGES SALE OF NEW CONSTRUCTION DORAL INDUSTRIAL FACILITY
- HUD AND VA TEAM UP TO HELP MORE THAN 9,000 HOMELESS VETERANS FIND PERMANENT HOMES
- Modular Building Institute Thanks Contributors for Taking Part in Modular Construction Summit
- RE/MAX Expands Digital Marketing Capabilities
- LUCESCU REALTY Announces Financing of Huntington Oaks Center in Monrovia (Los Angeles), California for $71 Million
- RE/MAX Training Program Recognized for Custom Content
- Real Estate Agent and Marketing Specialist, Kathy Toth and Team, Recognized as One of the United Statesâ€™ and Canadaâ€™s Top 500 Marketing Experts by the National Association of Expert Advisors.
- APARTMENT ASSOCIATION OF GREATER LOS ANGELES HOSTS EMERGENCY DISASTER PREP TRADE SHOW
- LUCESCU REALTY Announces Sale of Shopping Center Portfolio in Utah for $226 Million