Brokerage firm, seller will pay $90,000 for preventing sale of house
WASHINGTON, DC – April 15, 2013 – (RealEstateRama) — The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced today a $90,000 Conciliation Agreement with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage and the seller of a home in Worcester, Massachusetts, settling allegations they violated the Fair Housing Act by preventing the sale of a house to be used as a group home for persons with disabilities. The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in rental or sales transactions based on disability, including preventing a home sale because the home is going to be used by persons with disabilities.
â€śHUD is committed to promoting housing opportunities for people with disabilities in mainstream settings,â€ť said John TrasviĂ±a, HUD Assistant Secretary for Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity. â€śWeâ€™re pleased the parties in this case were willing to resolve this matter in a way that advances that goal.â€ť
HUD General Counsel Helen Kanovsky added, â€śThis case emphasizes that no one is above the law. Sellers of property, as well as their real estate agents and law firms who assist them, are all required to adhere to the Fair Housing Act.â€ť
The prospective buyer planned to rent the house to a non-profit organization that provides supportive housing for persons with disabilities. When Erwin Miller, the executor of the estate learned the house would be used as a rental property, he agreed to sell the home on the condition a restrictive covenant was attached to the property. Miller stated in an email, â€śIf they rent to a responsible family it is okay, BUT no unrelated individuals, students, dorm! Neighbors will fight this.â€ť Donna Truex, Millerâ€™s attorney, at Bowditch & Dewey, LLP, recorded a restrictive covenant prohibiting the use of the house as a group home for disabled persons. Millerâ€™s real estate agent, an independent contractor associated with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, then emailed the restrictive covenant to the prospective purchaserâ€™s sales agent, thereby prompting the prospective purchaser to withdraw from the sale.
The prospective purchaser and his sales agent subsequently filed a complaint with HUD, alleging the restrictive covenant that prohibited future owners of the home from using it as a group home for individuals with disabilities. After receiving the complaint, HUD filed its own Secretary-initiated housing discrimination complaint alleging that the actions of the seller, real estate agent Maureen Kelleher, and attorney Donna Truex violated the Fair Housing Act.
Under the terms of the agreement, which was negotiated by HUDâ€™s Regional Counsel in Boston, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage and Bowditch & Dewey will each pay $39,000 to the prospective buyer and $6,000 to his sales agent. Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage and Bowditch & Dewey, LLP, will provide their employees with fair housing training. In addition, Bowditch & Dewey, LLP, will donate 100 hours of free legal services directly related to fair housing and 100 hours of free legal services directly related to the promotion of disability rights.
HUD’s mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all.
HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the
need for quality affordable rental homes: utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination; and transform the way HUD does business.
More information about HUD and its programs is available on the Internet at www.hud.gov and
http://espanol.hud.gov. You can also follow HUD on twitter @HUDnews, on facebook at
www.facebook.com/HUD, or sign up for news alerts on HUD’s News Listserv.
- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage Welcomes David B. Roney to Biltmore/Paradise Valley, Arizona Office
Torrance, CA - November 30, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in Arizona announced that metropolitan Phoenix broker David B. Roney has joined the company. Formerly the owner of Roney & Associates Realty, a full-servi......
- Lori Ebeling and Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage Selected to Represent The Estates at Point Happy
La Quinta, CA - December 9, 2010 - (RealEstateRama) -- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in La Quinta and Lori Ebeling have been selected to represent the Estates at the historic Point Happy Ranch. Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage agent Lori Ebeling consistently ranks among the top NRT agents nationwide, and was chosen by the new owners of Point Happy Estates as...
- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage Appoints Paige Heavey Branch Manager of Scottsdale Pinnacle Peak and Scottsdale Carefree Offices
Torrance, CA - March 7, 2012 - (RealEstateRama) -- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage has selected Paige Heavey as the new branch manager to lead the companyâ€™s Scottsdale Pinnacle Peak and Scottsdale Carefree branch locations. â€śWe are more than ......
- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage Launches Sweeping New Cloud Initiative for Home Buyers and Sellers
Phoenix, AZ - August 10, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, the real estate industryâ€™s flagship producer of innovative technology and consumer services is proud to announce the development and implementation of a prop......
- Coldwell Banker La Jolla Closes Record-Setting Home Sale in San Diego County
Torrance, CA - December 23, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in La Jolla announced today the sale of the Razor House, an 11,000-square-foot architectural landmark that rests high above the Torrey Pines State Reserve. Sol......
- ERC and NCLR Investigation Uncovers Housing Discrimination against Latinos in Three Major Metropolitan Areas
- McDonaldâ€™s Study Explores Idea of a Net Zero Energy Quick Service Restaurant
- Meridian Acquires 74,000 SF Professional Office Building in Pleasanton, California
- Leahy, Collins Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Combat Youth Homelessness & Trafficking
- RealtorsÂ® Support FHFA Director Wattâ€™s Efforts to Promote Affordable Homeownership
- MiNeighborhood Program Accepting Applications Through March 27
- HBI Graduates Receive NAHB Chairmanâ€™s Award and Shirley McVay Wisemen Award for Exceptional Promise at 2015 NAHB International Buildersâ€™ Show
- Home Staging Can Help Sell Home for More, RealtorsÂ® Say
- Bill Introduced to Expand Housing Programs to 1 Million Children, Families
- IN CASE YOU MISSED ITâ€¦ Tampa Bay Times: â€śAtwater: Stress tests may instill confidence in insuranceâ€ť
- Rep. Royce Introduces Pay Back the Taxpayers Act to Prevent GSEs Funding Housing Advocacy Groups