WASHINGTON, D.C. – July 24, 2013 – (RealEstateRama) — The Illinois Attorney General’s office has awarded $3 million to a coalition of city and community groups led by Peoria LISC. The funds will support the demolition of buildings, the construction and rehab of homes and housing counseling services in Peoria’s East Bluff neighborhood. “It is why we came to Peoria- to energize projects, programs and community-based organizations in ways that improve the quality of life in challenged neighborhoods,” says Brandon Holmes, Executive Director of Peoria LISC.
PEORIA (July 22, 2013) â€”Foreclosure relief got a boost in Peoria recently when the Illinois Attorney Generalâ€™s office awarded $3 million to a coalition of city and community groups led by the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC).
The funds are part of the stateâ€™s $70 million piece of the National Foreclosure Settlement, negotiated by state attorneys general with some of the nationâ€™s largest banks in the wake of the foreclosure crisis. The Peoria funds will support demolition of 20 buildings, the construction and rehab of an estimated 30 homes, and housing counseling servicesâ€”all designed to help revitalize Peoriaâ€™s East Bluff neighborhood.
LISC leads a team that includes the Peoria Opportunities Foundation, IFF, Novadebt, and METEC Housing Counseling Resource Center. The group is partnering with the City of Peoria, Busey Bank, Gaetz Home Team and East Bluff Neighborhood Housing Services to move forward with this effort.
â€śWhen leaders of several East Bluff groups approached us with a plan for foreclosure funds, we knew it could be a great opportunity for this community,â€ť said Brandon Holmes, Peoria LISC executive director, who pursued the state application on behalf of the group. â€śThey had a vision for what could be accomplished. But, they needed a partner to help pull together the necessary expertise and matching funds to really make this happen.
â€śThatâ€™s what LISC does,â€ť Holmes said. â€śItâ€™s why we came to Peoriaâ€”to energize projects, programs and community-based organizations in ways that improve the quality of life in challenged neighborhoods,â€ť he said.
LISC opened its doors in Peoria last year with a focus on the South Side and East Bluff neighborhoods. Local groups in those communities shape long-term redevelopment plans, and LISC helps fuel that workâ€”with the East Bluff foreclosure relief collaboration being the latest example. The foreclosure grant dovetails with LISC early-action projects announced in April to support work around housing improvements, community safety and youth services.
â€śWeâ€™re just getting started in both neighborhoods,â€ť Holmes said, â€śand this grant from the state is a big boost to our efforts. It will help repair some of the damage done by years of foreclosures in East Bluff, and it helps us move our communities, block by block, toward a better quality of life.â€ť
LISC combines corporate, government and philanthropic resources to help nonprofit community development corporations revitalize distressed neighborhoods. Since 1980, LISC has invested $12.9 billion to build or rehab 298,300 affordable homes and apartments and develop 49 million square feet of retail, community and educational space. For more, visit www.lisc.org.
Brandon Holmes, Executive Director, Peoria LISC
- LISC issues first community development grants in Peoria
WASHINGTON, D.C. - April 5, 2013 - (RealEstateRama) -- LISC is announcing its first grants in Peoria this week, providing â€śearly actionâ€ť funding for improvement projects focused on the East Bluff and the South Side neighborhoods. Totaling $125,000, these grants are the start of what is expected to be millions of dollars in investment in Peoria's neighborhoods. â€śThese small grants...
- LISC Launches in Peoria
PEORPIA, IL - July 24, 2012 - (RealEstateRama) -- When the non-profit Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) begins its work in earnest in Peoria, it will focus first on two neighborhoods: the South Side and East Bluff. Both have high rates of poverty and unemployment, large numbers of vacant properties, significant crime and crumbling housing stock. Today LISC invited families...
- State Targets Peoria to Promote Homebuyer Down Payment Assistance and Foreclosure Prevention Help
PEORIA - May 10, 2013 - (RealEstateRama) -- State and city officials today announced Governor Pat Quinnâ€™s plans to bring affordable homebuying options and foreclosure prevention relief to Peoria residents. The stateâ€™s housing finance agency, the Il......
- LISC wins $1.4 million in new AmeriCorps funding to fuel economic recovery in low-income neighborhoods
WASHINGTON, D.C. - June 25, 2013 - (RealEstateRama) -- LISC announces $1.4 million grant from the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) for LISC's AmeriCorps program. The grant will help support 160 AmeriCorps members in 14 areas where LISC has local offices, as well as fund LISC's efforts to expand Financial Opportunity Centers in low-income neighborhoods nationwide....
- LISC fuels new Calif. fund to develop affordable housing
SAN FRANCISCO, CA - May 1, 2013 - (RealEstateRama) -- The Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) is joining forces with the state of California to spur development and preservation of more affordable housing in both urban and rural communities...
- ERC and NCLR Investigation Uncovers Housing Discrimination against Latinos in Three Major Metropolitan Areas
- VA Awards SSVF Surge Funding to 56 Communities
- CBRE ARRANGES SALE OF NEW CONSTRUCTION DORAL INDUSTRIAL FACILITY
- HUD AND VA TEAM UP TO HELP MORE THAN 9,000 HOMELESS VETERANS FIND PERMANENT HOMES
- Modular Building Institute Thanks Contributors for Taking Part in Modular Construction Summit
- RE/MAX Expands Digital Marketing Capabilities
- LUCESCU REALTY Announces Financing of Huntington Oaks Center in Monrovia (Los Angeles), California for $71 Million
- RE/MAX Training Program Recognized for Custom Content
- Real Estate Agent and Marketing Specialist, Kathy Toth and Team, Recognized as One of the United Statesâ€™ and Canadaâ€™s Top 500 Marketing Experts by the National Association of Expert Advisors.
- APARTMENT ASSOCIATION OF GREATER LOS ANGELES HOSTS EMERGENCY DISASTER PREP TRADE SHOW
- LUCESCU REALTY Announces Sale of Shopping Center Portfolio in Utah for $226 Million