Harhai to address homelessness at Wednesday press conference
HARRISBURG, – November 18, 2013 – (RealEstateRama) — State Rep. Ted Harhai, D-Westmoreland/Fayette, will participate in a press conference at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 20 in the Main Capitol Rotunda on the subject of homelessness.
The press conference is a rollout of House Resolution 550, jointly sponsored by Harhai and state Rep. Keith Gillespie, R-York — which would direct the Joint State Government Commission, a legislative research agency, to conduct a comprehensive study of homelessness in Pennsylvania.
The event will double as an introduction of the newly formed House Homelessness Caucus, of which Harhai, Democratic chairman of the House Urban Affairs Committee, is a founding member.
Eighteen pieces of art displayed depicting homelessness in the Commonwealth will be on display for the event, which is being held in conjunction with National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week that runs Nov. 16-24.
Scheduled speakers at the press conference include:
• Rep. Ted Harhai, main sponsor of H.R. 550;
• Rep. Keith Gillespie, principle cosponsor of H.R. 550;
• Rep. Vanessa Brown, D-Philadelphia, co-chair of House Homelessness Caucus;
• Rep. Dave Reed, R-Indiana, co-chair of House Homelessness Caucus;
• Brian Hudson, executive director of Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency;
• Liz Hersh, executive director of the Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania; and
• A former homeless person.