One-Stop-Shops Link Homebuyers and Owners with Advisors, Lenders, Insurance, Real Estate and Contracting Professionals
Washington, D.C. – June 13, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — Today NeighborWorks America announced that more than 100 NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Centers have opened their doors in more than100 communities across the nation. NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Centers help low- and moderate-income families achieve homeownership the NeighborWorks way:
- Prepare for long-term homeownership through homebuyer education;
- Invest wisely with affordable and appropriate mortgage products; and
- Retain homes through preventative home maintenance, timely home repair and rehabilitation.
“Despite the tough economy, homeownership is still a dream for many hard-working American families,” said Eileen Fitzgerald, CEO of NeighborWorks America. “NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Centers work directly with families who want to achieve homeownership by preparing them for this significant investment and ensuring that they are ready for long-term homeownership in their communities. With interest rates still at historic lows and more affordable homeownership opportunities available than ever before, now is a good time for working families who are ready to realize their dream.”
Since the mid-1990s NeighborWorks America and the NeighborWorks network have assisted homebuyers in their efforts to access billions of dollars in first and second mortgage money, and helped more than 100,000 consumers achieve their dream of long-term, sustainable homeownership, through pre- and post-purchase home buyer education.
All NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Centers have a paid professional staff and volunteers from the lending, real estate, insurance and home improvement industries. Services and products provided through the Centers include:
- Homebuyer education courses;
- Individualized pre-purchase advice (including repairing or establishing credit);
- Home inspections, as well as renovation specifications and cost estimates;
- Information about affordable first mortgage financing;
- Affordable second mortgage financing for down payments, closing costs or renovations for qualified clients;
- Access to real estate agents and services, insurance services and contractor referral and construction monitoring;
- Free or low-cost workshops on home maintenance and repair;
• Neighborhood tours and links to neighborhood organizations, associations and leaders to help a buyer make the most informed decision; and,
• Post-purchase counseling, budget and credit management and delinquency prevention strategies.
All NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Centers are sponsored by NeighborWorks America. NeighborWorks America and the NeighborWorks network work together for strong communities through partnerships with residents, government and business leaders.
June is National Homeownership Month; throughout the month, NeighborWorks America is highlighting the important role that informed, prepared and engaged residents play in healthy communities through long-term, affordable homeownership.
For more information about Homeownership Month or the NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Centers, please visit www.nw.org/homeownership.
About NeighborWorks® America
NeighborWorks America creates opportunities for people to improve their lives and strengthen their communities by providing access to homeownership and to safe and affordable rental housing. In the last five years, NeighborWorks organizations have generated $20 billion in reinvestment in these communities. NeighborWorks America is the nation’s leading trainer of community development and affordable housing professionals.