NAREE REAL ESTATE JOURNALISM CONTEST EXPANDS WITH 11 NEW CATEGORIES; $10,000 IN PRIZE MONEY
AWARDS OPEN FOR WEEKLY BUSINESS PAPERS, SPOT NEWS REPORTS; MORTGAGE & HOME DESIGN WRITERS
SEVEN CATEGORIES FOR ON-LINE JOURNALISTS & TOP HONORS OFFERED FOR FREELANCERS
BOCA RATON, Fla. –The National Association of Real Estate Editors is accepting entries in its newly expanded, 58th Annual NAREE Journalism Awards Competition.
More than 70 awards in 32 categories — including seven for on-line journalists and an overall award for freelancers — will be offered. More than $10,000 in prize money will be awarded to overall and first place winners.
Deadline to enter the competition is Feb 20, 2008. Works published, posted or aired between Jan. 1, 2007, and Dec. 31, 2007, are eligible..
New categories also will appeal to journalists, both staffers and freelancers, from weekly business newspapers, mortgage publications, shelter publications, trade publications and online news outlets that specialize in spot news, commercial and financial real estate news, and real estate blogs.
Both individual awards, team honors and awards for best publications have included coverage spanning topics from affordable housing, real estate lending or finance to news and trend analysis on government housing policy, the environment, urban growth, land-use, investments, construction, architecture and design.
Journalists from the nation’s leading newspapers, Internet media, magazines and broadcast outlets enter the prestigious real estate journalism competition, which has recognized excellence in reporting, writing and editing since 1949.
Other NAREE Journalism Competition Highlights:
* The James D. Carper Award for Best Entry by a Young Journalist — $250 Cash Award. To be eligible, work must be created by individuals 30 years or younger as of Dec. 31, 2007.
* The newly designated Bob Bruss Award which will recognize the nation’s best real estate column with a $250 cash award.
All professional journalists, both NAREE members and nonmembers, are welcome to enter. Entry forms and full details are available at http://www.naree.org/.
Entries will be judged by the faculty of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism of Ohio University.
First-place winners will receive cash awards in 32 categories. First- and second-place winners will receive award certificates.
Winners will be invited to attend the awards ceremony and luncheon on Friday, May 9, 2008, at NAREE’s annual conference in Dallas, TX.
Founded in 1929, the National Association of Real Estate Editors is the only professional association of writers, editors, columnists and freelancers covering residential, commercial and financial real estate, and home and design features for general circulation and trade news outlets. All media — print, broadcast and online — are represented in the ranks of NAREE active membership.
FULL LISTING OF CATEGORIES
1. Best Spot Real Estate News Report – Daily Newspaper
2. Best Residential Real Estate Report – Daily Newspaper
3. Best Home Design Feature – Daily Newspaper
4. Best Mortgage or Financial Real Estate Report – Daily Newspaper
5. Best Commercial Real Estate Report – Daily Newspaper
6. Best Report – Daily Newspaper Less than 250,000 Circulation (residential, home design, commercial, mortgage,or financial report)
7. Best Report – Weekly Business Newspaper (residential, commercial, mortgage, or financial report – no daily publication products)
8. Best Feature – General Circulation/Shelter Magazine (no daily publication products)
9. Best Real Estate Report – General Circulation, Real Estate, Business, or Financial Magazine (residential, commercial, mortgage or financial report – no trade publications or daily publication products)
10. Best Trade Magazine Report – for the Residential Real Estate/Building/Development Industries (real estate, construction, development, mortgage, financial, building product or home design report – no association publications)
11. Best Trade Magazine Report for the Commercial Real Estate Industry (no association publications)
ONLINE & BROADCAST CATEGORIES
12. Best Spot Real Estate News Report – Online
13. Best Residential Real Estate Report – Online
14. Best Mortgage or Financial Real Estate Report – Online
15. Best Commercial Real Estate Report – Online
16. Best Blog or Podcast
17. Best Broadcast Report (Radio, Television, Online live or
prerecorded, scripted report with standard outcue)
ALL MEDIA CATEGORIES
18. The Bob Bruss Award for Best Column (Submit 3 different columns)
19. Best Serial Report (Submit 3 consecutive reports in a series)
20. Best Collection of Work by an Individual (Submit 3 different works from one media outlet or a combination of media outlets.)
21. Best Newspaper Real Estate Section – More than 250,000 Circulation (Submit 3 different sections)
22. Best Newspaper Real Estate Section – Less than 250,000 Circulation (Submit 3 different sections)
23. Best Newspaper Home Section – More than 250,000 Circulation (Submit 3 different sections)
24. Best Newspaper Home Section – Less than 250,000 Circulation (Submit 3 different sections)
25. Best General Circulation/Shelter Magazine – Home design, construction, remodeling, real estate and/or consumer finance (Submit 3 different issues)
26. Best Building and Development Magazine – More than $4 million in annual revenues – Covering home design, and residential & commercial planning, design and construction. (Submit 3 different issues)
27. Best Building and Development Magazine – Less than $4 million in annual revenues – Covering home design, and residential and commercial planning, design and construction. (Submit 3 different issues)
28. Best Commercial Real Estate Magazine
29. Best Mortgage/Financial Real Estate Magazine – Covering mortgages, financial reports and financial trends relating to the real estate industry. (Submit 3 different issues)
30. Best Real Estate Newsletter
31. Best Web Site – Solely devoted to real estate and/or home design
32. Best Team Report – Multiple bylined investigative reports, spot news reports, serial reports, features, or columns — covering residential and commercial real estate, mortgage, finance or home design.
Instructions to enter on www.naree.org.