WASHINGTON, D.C. – January 24, 2013 – (RealEstateRama) — A Kiawah Island, S.C., residence has been selected as Home of the Year in the 2012 Best in American Living Awards (BALA) by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).
English Angel, an Arts and Crafts style house designed by Wayne Windham Architect of Kiawah Island, and built by Buffington Homes, Johns Island, draws inspiration from the most influential English architects of the early 20th century.
Other team members include interior designer Kathryn McGowan of Charleston and the land planning firm of Sunnyside Designs of Johns Island.
Designed to be enjoyed by multiple families as a second home, this 4,900-sq. ft. home contains three identical master suites, three additional bedrooms and a total of six bathrooms. The homeâ€™s bold stucco massing and steep roof pitches make a commanding presence, while flared roof lines and various detailed openings articulate the form.
â€śAs one of the judges noted, this home is a finely crafted tribute to the Arts and Crafts tradition with beautiful oak interiors and exterior windows,â€ť said Skip Howes, 2012 chair of NAHBâ€™s design committee and president of Scott Homes Ltd. in Woodland Park, Colo.
â€śItâ€™s easy to get carried away with interior details, but in this house the details are done just right,â€ť Howes said. â€śThis home embraces the most compelling trends we have seen this year.â€ť
Inside the home, neutral colored walls accentuate richly stained woodwork. The timber trusses and the intersecting peak and arch ceiling open the living room to form a dynamic gathering space. Stained glass connects the kitchen and dining room. The open floor plan allows abundant light and views to the exterior, and also provides a sense of connection and functionality. A pair of matching staircases separates the two upper master suites, trimmed with custom balusters.
Now in its 29th year, BALA recognizes outstanding achievement by builders and design professionals in all sectors of the residential housing industry including single-family production, custom, rental, affordable, interiors, remodeling, community and international, based on the principle that good design is not and should not be limited to high-priced and/or custom homes. Even the simplest, most affordable homes can receive an award if they showcase good design.
Award winners were announced during the annual NAHB International Buildersâ€™ Show in Las Vegas.
Additional Information about the BALA program can be found at www.nahb.org/BALA, including the 2012 BALA Portfolio, featuring a review of design trends and scores of project photographs.
- University Home Wins Room of the Year in National Design Competition
WASHINGTON, D.C. - January 23, 2013 - (RealEstateRama) -- The kitchen in the chancellorâ€™s residence at North Carolina State University has been selected as Room of the Year in the 2012 Best in American Living Awards (BALA) by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)....
- Home Builders Win Building Systems Design Competition
WASHINGTON, D.C. - October 4, 2012 - (RealEstateRama) -- The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) Building Systems Councils (BSC) bestowed 20 awards to leading national systems-built industry manufacturers and home builders at its annual Showcase event held Oct. 1 - 2 at the NAHB Housing Center in Washington, D.C. The 2013 Jerry Rouleau Awards for Excellence in Marketing and...
- Call for Entries Now Open for the 2011 NAHB Custom Home Builder of the Year Award
WASHINGTON, D.C. - October 11, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Custom builders across the nation are invited to enter the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) 2011 Custom Home Builder of the Year Award competition, sponsored by the Propane Education & Research Council...
- Best in American Living Awards Highlight Design Trends for 2013 and Beyond
WASHINGTON, D.C. - January 23, 2013 - (RealEstateRama) -- The winners of the Best in American Living Awards (BALA) demonstrate that good design is not limited to high-priced homes â€“ and theyâ€™re also a preview of design trends home buyers will see over the next several years, according to the judges who reviewed the entries in the annual competition of...
- Polhemus Named NAHB Custom Home Builder of the Year
WASHINGTON, D.C. - March 8, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Peter Polhemus, president and CEO of Polhemus Savery DaSilva Architects Builders in Chatham, Mass, has been named the Custom Home Builder of the Year by the National Association of Home Builders."We are honored to be the first company in New England and also the first truly integrated architectural and building firm...
- ERC and NCLR Investigation Uncovers Housing Discrimination against Latinos in Three Major Metropolitan Areas
- EIGHTY-THREE PERCENT OF CONSTRUCTION FIRMS REPORT HAVING TROUBLE FINDING QUALIFIED WORKERS TO MEET GROWING DEMAND FOR CONSTRUCTION SERVICES
- Hanley Investment Group Negotiates the Sale of 128,000 SF of Retail for $29 Million in Los Angeles County
- KTGY Receives Firm Mentorship Award from AIA California Council
- NCRC Statement on FHFA Effort to Expand Credit Access
- Secretary McDonald Announces VA to Continue Town Hall Events at VA Facilities Nationwide
- Existing-Home Sales Rebound in September
- RealtorsÂ® Say QRM Rule Will Provide Clarity in Housing Finance Market, Benefit Consumers
- CONSTRUCTION EMPLOYMENT INCREASED IN 39 STATES DURING THE PAST YEAR; 34 STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ADD JOBS BETWEEN AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER
- Statement from NAHB Chairman Kevin Kelly on New Mortgage Market Standards
- CBRE ARRANGES $39M LOAN FOR PURCHASE OF TAMPA OFFICE COMMUNITY