New app and mobile site seen as new era in customer service
WASHINGTON – August 14, 2015 – (RealEstateRama) — The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development today unveiled the HUD Resource Locator – an innovative mobile app and website to further expand and enhance traditional HUD customer service. The resource locator will offer real-time HUD housing information at the fingertips of people looking to quickly connect with building managers, public housing authority representatives, and property management companies to inquire about housing availability and other housing-related questions.
The HUD resource locator is one of several services provided by HUD’s Enterprise Geographic Information System (eGIS). This tool uses GIS technology to pinpoint where resources are located and allow anyone with a smartphone or tablet to get relevant contact information. For example, the new app can be used during a disaster when families need to find housing, or when social service providers are helping persons experiencing homelessness look for available housing assistance. In an era where people are increasingly using smartphones to find information, the HUD resource locator app and mobile site provides an easy tool for anyone to use to find housing resources.The resource locator uses housing data from HUD and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
“The HUD Resource Locator app delivers real-time HUD housing information at the touch of a button,” said HUD SecretaryJulián Castro. “In today’s global economy where more and more people have a smartphones or similar devices, HUD is committed to finding ways to make it easier for Americans to access our resources and find opportunities to move ahead.”
The HUD Resource Locator is a mobile app and mobile website that includes:
- Information about commonly requested housing-related resources from HUD field and regional offices throughout the country.
- Location data and contact information for HUD Field and Regional Offices, Public Housing Authorities, Multifamily Housing, Low Income Housing Tax Credit apartments, USDA Rural Housing, and Continuum of Care Homeless staff.
- Maps that are seamlessly linked via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, email and text messages.
- GIS and Browser Location Detection to show resources in proximity to the user.
- Ability to export search results to Excel and to generate a custom PDF resource guide.