When planning for a home makeover, flooring is among the crucial decisions to make. Today, there are several choices, including wall-to-wall carpets, vinyl, tiles, and wooden flooring.
Though you might love the durable finish and easy cleaning of other floor covering options, nothing beats the warmth of a carpet. The soft feel it gives underneath your feet the moment you step into it offers an incomparable sense of luxury.
But before installing and buying wall-to-wall carpets in Dubai, here’s what you should know.
Why choose wall-to-wall carpeting
Here are four compelling reasons to try wall-to-wall carpeting today.
Carpets are available in four different fibres.
- Nylon – This is the commonly used fibre for carpets because it is highly versatile and remarkably soft. It is also resilient, durable, and receptive to drying.
- Polyester– This carpet fibre offers colour clarity and superb softness. It is fade- and stain-resistant too. It is recommended for low to medium traffic rooms like your bedroom.
- Wool– This is a natural fibre that is both versatile and durable. It is the most expensive carpet type, but it is the only fibre that can look brand new every after cleaning.
- Polypropylene– This carpet fibre can’t absorb water, but its colour won’t fade even when exposed to atmospheric contaminants, bleaches, and intense sunlight.
Since carpets are available in different fibres, textures, and colours, they offer several possibilities for decorating.
Carpets give a cosy, warm feeling to any room, whether you are walking around in slippers, socks, or bare feet. They can be installed on non-level surfaces like stairs, posts, and walls without worrying about them lifting, buckling or slipping.
They also help reduce noise better than other flooring types. They can dampen noise by:
- Absorbing airborne sound
- Minimizing surface noise from foot traffic
- Blocking sound transmission
Contrary to what most people believe, carpets are excellent flooring solutions if you have allergies. A well-installed and clean carpet can minimize different types of allergic reactions by up to four times. Research has shown that well-maintained carpets help improve indoor air quality by trapping allergy triggers like dust and pet dander.
Furthermore, carpets make the floor slip-resistant, which is crucial when living with young children and the elderly. They can also serve as a natural cushion when someone falls.
Wall-to-wall carpets are cost efficient. They are the most economical alternative to other expensive flooring solutions.
Carpeting can also save you more than just its initial cost because carpets today are durable. They have a lifespan of five to 30 years.
Moreover, carpets add an extra layer of insulation between the floors in your house. Depending on the carpet weight and density, it can also contribute to the R-value of your home. It helps keep the rooms cooler during summer and warmer in the winter months. With carpets, you are saving both money and energy.
Where to use wall-to-wall carpeting
Wall-to-wall carpeting is the best flooring solution for the following rooms.
Carpets are great for your family or living rooms because they can add warmth and softness to the space. They also help absorb sound, which is essential whenever someone turns up the TV volume or speaker on full blast. And since you will most likely be sitting in these rooms, wear and tear due to so much foot traffic won’t be a problem either.
Wall-to-wall carpeting is common in the bedroom because carpets are:
- naturally cosy;
- easy and soft underfoot;
- able to add extra texture to the overall design; and
- provide sound insulation for better sleep
You can even add a layer of area rugs over the carpets for more personalization and depth.
Carpeting is also beneficial for your kid’s playroom, since children often hang out on the floor. Your child’s feet won’t ever slip or feel uncomfortable on a hard, cold surface.
In areas where wall-to-wall carpeting isn’t possible, such as the kitchen and hallways, consider using area rugs. Rather than installing a permanent soft floor covering, go for a hard-surfaced floor and place a replaceable, movable area rug to add a bit of comfort, warmth, and cushion.
What to consider before buying wall-to-wall carpets
Purchasing wall-to-wall carpets can be overwhelming with plenty of great options today. To help you invest in the most suitable carpets, here are things to consider.
Like any other investment, setting a budget is essential when undertaking a wall-to-wall carpeting project. Determining how much money you are willing to spend makes finding the best carpets for your home easy.
Remember the following principles to keep costs low:
- Pile weight and style add to cost.
- Consider carpet tiles. This option can help you save money on installation because carpet tiles are meant to be interchanged from low to high traffic rooms. Moreover, damage or stain to an area can be managed by replacing only the affected tiles.
- Compare the cost of all possible options once you determine the amount of carpet you’ll need for your home.
- Custom carpets are made to satisfy your specific needs and withstand heavy traffic. They can be printed with whatever design you have in mind. These are the most cost-efficient solution if you want patterned carpeting.
Look and feel
Not all carpets are created equal, so pay attention to their look and feel.
When deciding on the look, consider the carpet’s creation technique, brightness or sheen, colour, and colour fastness.
As for the carpet’s feel, this depends on the pile and fibre. Being aware of the different carpet construction terms and fibres can help you pick the most suitable carpets for your home. The thickness and type of backing and cushioning will also affect the carpet’s feel underfoot.
Where you intend to install wall-to-wall carpeting can give several parameters for stain resistance, durability, ease of care, and moisture resistance.
Pets, children, and the elderly in the household can have an impact on your choices too.
New carpets emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs). The presence of these air pollutants indicates that special care is required with ventilation when installing these new carpets because VOCs have harmful effects on health, causing allergies, nausea, headaches, and difficulty breathing.
So choose carpets that emit little to no volatile organic compounds. Some of the best low-VOC materials for carpets include wool, sisal, cotton, seagrass, and nylon.
Indeed, wall-to-wall carpets offer several benefits to you and your home when installed professionally in suitable locations and maintained adequately. So, if you need to renovate your floors, try wall-to-wall carpets and get these only from reputable sellers.
James Prathap is the General Manager at NGC Nafees, one of the leading distributors of wallpapers, floorings, and fabrics in the Middle East and South Asia. Formed three decades ago, the business also offers high-quality panoramics, coordinated fabrics, and creative stickers for residential and commercial projects.