WASHINGTON – RealEstateRama – The Alliance to Save Energy released the following statement from President Paula Glover following today’s vote in the U.S. Senate to advance the bipartisan infrastructure package:
“The Alliance greatly appreciates the work of the Senate in passage of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, bipartisan legislation to invest in our nation’s future. The package is historic in its demonstration of bipartisanship and in its commitment to energy efficiency. The Alliance thanks the Senate and White House for their resolute leadership in getting us to this point, including provisions that will advance nationwide building, industrial, and transportation efficiency.
“While there is still significant work ahead and opportunities for additional climate and energy investments, today’s vote represents a win for the country and a win for energy efficiency.”
Energy efficiency components of the passed packaged include:
- $3.5 billion for the Weatherization Assistance Program
- $65 billion for grid modernization, including deploying technologies for grid flexibility
- $500 million for K-12 public schools and $50 million for nonprofits and churches to implement efficiency projects
- $550 million for the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant Program
- $250 million for Assisting Federal Facilities with Energy Conservation Technologies (AFFECT) grants
- $250 million to establish a state revolving loan fund for commercial and residential energy audits and $40 million for training auditors as part of the INSULATE Buildings Act
- $225 million for states to implement updated building energy codes, and to train code officials and homebuilders to meet code
- $7.5 billion for electric vehicle charging infrastructure and $7.5 billion for low to zero emissions busses and ferries
- $65 billion for expanding broadband access
ABOUT THE ALLIANCE TO SAVE ENERGY
Founded in 1977, the Alliance to Save Energy is a nonprofit, bipartisan alliance of business, government, environmental and consumer leaders working to expand the economy while using less energy. Our mission is to promote energy productivity worldwide – including through energy efficiency – to achieve a stronger economy, a cleaner environment and greater energy security, affordability, and reliability.