WASHINGTON, D.C. – September 30, 2015 – (RealEstateRama) — The City of Traverse City is seeking volunteers who are interested in serving on various boards and committees. Positions are available on the City Planning Commission, Housing Commission, Brownfield Redevelopment Authority, Election Commission and the Board of Tax Review. Below is an overview of each of these boards. For more detailed info visitwww.traversecitymi.gov/boards.
- City Planning Commission – The Planning Commission member shall be a representative of important segments of the community, such as the economic, governmental, educational, and social development of the local unit of government, in accordance with the major interests as they exist in the local unit of government, such as agriculture, natural resources, recreation, education, public health, government, transportation, industry and commerce.
- Housing Commission – The authority of this commission is “to purchase, acquire, construct, maintain, operate, improve, extend and repair housing facilities; to eliminate housing conditions which are detrimental to the public peace, health, safety, morals or welfare; to issue notes and revenue bonds; to regulate issuance, sale, retirement and refunding of such notes and bonds; to regulate the rentals of such projects and the use of the revenues of the projects; to prescribe the manner of selecting tenants for such projects, etc.”
- Brownfield Redevelopment Authority – The purpose of this board is to prepare Brownfield plans for concurrence by local governing bodies and approval by the County Board, and oversees administration of brownfield plans and activities.
- Election Commission – This commission is a neutral body and has no policy making authority as City Charter, ordinances and state law mandate election procedures. Examples of duties consist of appointing election inspectors and approve printing of City election ballots.
- Board of Tax Review – The purpose of this “board shall examine, review, and correct the assessment roll…of its own motion, or on sufficient cause being shown by a person. The Board of Review shall have same powers and perform like duties in all respects as are, by general law, conferred upon and required of Boards of Review in Townships.”
If any of these boards interest you, we encourage you to complete an Application to Become Involved and submit it to the City Clerk’s Office by October 12, 2015. We encourage you to include a resume with your application, however it is not required.
Thank you for your interest in serving!
Contact: Katelyn Zeits, Deputy City Clerk,