If you have been living in a house for a long time, then you have probably thought about how you can update your interior. And one of the easiest ways to do this is to paint the room. This option for updating the premises at the same time is one of the cheapest. But despite this, you still need to know the basic rules and follow all the precautions to protect yourself and your home.
For residential house painting or wall painting, it is not necessary to be a professional or have a lot of experience in this field. You can simply read all the necessary information on the Internet and do all the work yourself. However, contacting a commercial painting services and consulting with a specialist never hurts, as he can give you a couple of really useful tips. Or maybe after a conversation you decide to entrust all the work to professionals.
Before you start apartment painting, you need to do certain steps to prepare for it. For example, all unnecessary things and furniture should be removed from the room so as not to spoil anything. It is also better to put a special film on the floor and seal all sections of the compact that should remain unchanged. In addition, you can carefully seal sockets and switches with tape or masking tape, or unscrew them and completely remove them from the room. Moreover, it is best to cover all the chandeliers and the ceiling with foil if you are not going to paint it. All these actions will help you be calm about the condition of your room.
After all of the above manipulations, you can proceed directly to painting the room. And here are some tips about it:
- Pick the perfect color
Before you start painting, you need to choose a color shade that fits perfectly into your interior. To do this, look at the colors of the rest of the things and all the furniture in the room. After that, you can choose several colors that you think will be in harmony with all fittings. It is from them that you should build on in the future until you make a final decision. The next step is to find boards or other materials that you can apply your chosen colors to and see how well they go with your room decor. Also, don’t forget that after some time you may decide to repaint the house outside, so it’s best to immediately find the right color for the exterior.
- Calculate the amount of paint
Measure all walls and ceilings. It is necessary to carry out calculations taking into account the size of sockets, lamps, doors, switches and other items that do not need to be painted. Remember that you will be painting in several layers. Then find out how much paint is in one package and calculate how many packages you have to buy in total.
- Prepare the walls for painting
This is a very important stage, which must be approached very responsibly. If this is not done, then the results of painting can greatly upset you. Be sure to clean the wall of various debris, dirt and dust. To do this, you can use a special brush. In addition, it is necessary to seal all foreign objects that do not require painting with adhesive tape.
- Remember to keep one edge of your wall always wet. If you don’t do this, paint buildup can form on the walls. This is due to the fact that the second layer is applied to the paint, which has already dried, and in a warm room this can happen very quickly. If you keep one part of the wall constantly wet, then the roller will always hit it. It is also worth understanding that there should always be wet paint on the roller itself.
- Before painting, mix the paint from all the cans in one container. This is necessary so that you have only one color, because in the banks themselves, which are bought in the store, the paint may differ slightly in shade. Therefore, by pouring everything into one container and mixing, you have only one color left.
- Keep your tools in good condition throughout the painting process. Your house painting job can take many days, and it’s important to take every possible step to ensure that your brushes and rollers don’t have dried paint on them. To do this, it is necessary to thoroughly clean them every time after the end of the work activity.
- Apply paint from top to bottom. This is the simplest rule that must be observed in order to protect yourself from unpleasant situations. For example, accidental drops or spills of paint. All these consequences will be eliminated much easier if you paint your wall according to the top-down method.
All of the above tips will help you achieve the result you need when painting the walls. Follow them and you can transform your interior beyond recognition.