Cable railings are becoming extremely popular today. They are a perfect alternative to metal and wood railings. They offer the same function but easy and affordable to upkeep. Inline design is something that comes with different types of railings. In this article, we are going to discuss the different types of cable railing so you will come up with an informed choice.
- Horizontal cable railing
It is called horizontal cable railing because it runs horizontally to the base of the deck. It is one of the most common cable deck railing forms because it creates a secure and unobstructed view, thus serving both safety and aesthetic purposes. When installing a cable railing system, it is a must to have a top rail, and it should be installed in a manner that will enable it to absorb and deflect applied pressure when cables are tensioned.
- Cable railing in accordance with the state’s code
Railings are installed to make the deck safe and secure. In some states, there are building code restrictions such as the use of horizontal railing for general purpose. Hence, before installing cable railings, make sure you consult a local code enforcement official. Present your plan and get approval. That way, you can be certain you are not breaking any local law and avoid wasting your time, energy, and money.
How to maintain a cable railing?
- Choose a marine-grade stainless steel as it can withstand environmental factors. It is also durable and requires low upkeeping.
- When cleaning the metal, avoid using harsh cleaning products. The recommended cleaning solution is a car wash soap.
- If there are scratches or discoloration on the metals, use passivating fluid to neutralize the stainless surface.
- After the installation process, make sure you thoroughly clean the materials to remove carbon deposits. Use a soft, clean cloth and stainless cleaner to wipe down the entire cable railing system. Make sure that when you do the cleaning, the product is shaded as the extreme temperature can lead to condensation. The chemical will react to extreme heat.
- Cleaning of the cable railing system should be done twice a year.
Why should you use cable railings for your deck?
There are a lot of good reasons why you should go to cable railing. Some are the following:
- A cable railing provides a viewer-friendly way of securing a deck. It is a better alternative to the usual glass or picket railings. Compared to wood, cables are thinner and lighter. They can significantly increase the viewing space.
- Cable railings are available in various configurations. You have many options to choose from, and you surely would find something that fits your style, needs, and concerns. There is something to match your home’s motif – be it a modern home, warm ambience, or classic feel. With a cable railing, you will not run out of options.
- Cables are easy and affordable to maintain. In fact, it does not need time to time upkeep. The best maintenance is to wipe with a clean, damp cloth. A thorough cleaning can be done two times a year.