FTC Returns $2.3 Million to Consumers; Mortgage Foreclosure Rescue Scam Victims Receive Full Refunds
WASHINGTON, D.C. – April 15, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — An administrator working for the Federal Trade Commission has mailed 1,410 refund checks to consumers allegedly defrauded by Home Assure LLC, a so-called mortgage foreclosure rescue service. The FTC alleged that the company charged consumers an up-front fee and falsely claimed its special relationships with lenders would enable it to get favorable loan modifications or stop foreclosure. A settlement order imposed a monetary judgment and banned the company from selling mortgage loan modification and foreclosure relief services.
Approximately $2.3 million is being returned to consumers, which represents the total amount of money consumers paid in this scam. The amount of each check will vary based upon the amount each consumer paid. Consumers who receive the checks should cash them by early June, 2011. The FTC never requires consumers to pay money or provide information before redress checks can be cashed. Home Assure customers with questions should call the redress administrator, Analytics Inc. at 866-890-4856 or visit the FTCâ€™s refund website.
The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help spot, stop, and avoid them.Â To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit the FTCâ€™s online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357).Â The FTC enters complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to more than 1,800 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.Â The FTCâ€™s website provides free information on a variety of consumer topics.Â â€śLikeâ€ť the FTC on Facebook and â€śfollowâ€ť us on Twitter.
- MEDIA CONTACT:
- Office of Public Affairs
- FTC Mails Redress Checks to Victims of Foreclosure Rescue Scam
February 28, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- An administrator working for the Federal Trade Commission is mailing 1,455 refund checks to consumers defrauded by a mortgage loan modification and foreclosure rescue scam. The FTC alleged, and the court found, that operators of the scam falsely told consumers they would prevent their homes from being foreclosed and negotiate lower mortgage interest rates,...
- FTC Sues Two Mortgage Foreclosure â€śRescueâ€ť Operations
As part of the Federal Trade Commissionâ€™s intensified efforts to protect consumers from mortgage foreclosure rescue scams, the agency has filed two lawsuits charging six individuals and their businesses with falsely claiming that they will stop foreclosure....
- Money-Making Scam Owner Will Pay Almost $1 Million and Sell House and Personal Property to Settle Prior FTC Judgment
WASHINGTON, D.C. - March 18, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- The operator of a defunct money-making scam has agreed to settle a federal court judgment the Federal Trade Commission obtained against him in 2007 for falsely claiming his â€śwealth buildingâ€ť program would teach consumers how to make substantial income in a short time by buying and selling privately held mortgages. Under...
- FTC Charges Mortgage Relief Operation with Deceiving Distressed Homeowners
WASHINGTON, D.C. - March 7, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- As part of the Federal Trade Commissionâ€™s continuing crackdown on scams that target homeowners behind in their mortgage payments or facing foreclosure, the FTC has charged a national operation with marketing bogus loan modification services. The FTC seeks to stop the illegal practices and make the defendants pay refunds to consumers...
- FTC Settlement Collects $2.2 Million, Bans Marketers From Mortgage Relief Business
WASHINGTON, D.C. - April 11, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Under a settlement with the Federal Trade Commission, two companies and three individuals are banned from the mortgage relief services business and must relinquish $2.2 million in assets for consumer refunds. The action is part of the FTCâ€™s ongoing effort to stop scams that target financially strapped homeowners seeking mortgage relief....
- ERC and NCLR Investigation Uncovers Housing Discrimination against Latinos in Three Major Metropolitan Areas
- Modular Building Institute Thanks Contributors for Taking Part in Modular Construction Summit
- RE/MAX Expands Digital Marketing Capabilities
- LUCESCU REALTY Announces Financing of Huntington Oaks Center in Monrovia (Los Angeles), California for $71 Million
- RE/MAX Training Program Recognized for Custom Content
- Real Estate Agent and Marketing Specialist, Kathy Toth and Team, Recognized as One of the United Statesâ€™ and Canadaâ€™s Top 500 Marketing Experts by the National Association of Expert Advisors.
- APARTMENT ASSOCIATION OF GREATER LOS ANGELES HOSTS EMERGENCY DISASTER PREP TRADE SHOW
- LUCESCU REALTY Announces Sale of Shopping Center Portfolio in Utah for $226 Million
- CBRE HOTELS ARRANGES SALE OF WORLD-RENOWNED FAIRMONT ROYAL PAVILION IN BARBADOS
- NAI Capital Represents Buyer in Multiple Purchases Totaling $22.4 Million
- CORAL GABLES OFFICE MARKET REBOUNDS IN 2014