Affordable housing group hosts annual Policy Summit after marking 80th anniversary
Washington, DC – June 20, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — As the country struggles economically, the future shape of the mortgage finance system remains a central question, as do questions about Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and role of government in general. The question of how most Americans will finance their housing choices in a post-bubble world hangs in the balance. To consider the choices and help chart a course forward, the National Housing Conference (NHC) will host its annual Policy Summit on mortgage finance reform Friday, June 24, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Columbus Club in Union Station. The event is open to members of the media.
The Policy Summit follows NHCâs annual Housing Person of the Year Gala scheduled on June 23 at the National Building Museum, honoring Professor Nicolas Retsinas and Sister Lillian Murphy, RSM, and celebrating NHCâs 80th anniversary.
Retsinas, director emeritus of Harvardâs Joint Center for Housing Studies, former FHA commissioner and a longtime fixture in national housing policy, will moderate a key panel at the summit, which convenes NHC members and housing leaders and experts from around the country to debate how to reform Americaâs housing finance system. Congressman Gary Miller (R-CA) will offer a perspective from Congress to open the session. Jeffrey Goldstein, the Treasury undersecretary for domestic finance, will speak to the Administrationâs plans for mortgage finance reform.
NHC has assembled experts from a broad range of political and industry perspectives, representing both right and left, nonprofit and for-profit, for panels on the future of home mortgage finance and multifamily mortgage finance. Thought leaders from private development, banks, academia and nonprofits will serve as panelists, including David Stevens, President and CEO of Mortgage Bankers Association; Amy Anthony, president, founder and executive director of Preservation of Affordable Housing; Willy Walker, Chairman, President and CEO of Walker & Dunlop; Susan Wachter, Richard B. Worley professor of financial management and professor of real estate and finance at the Wharton School; Larry White, Arthur E. Imperatore professor of economics at NYU Stern School; Diana Reid, executive vice president of PNC Real Estate and Brian Montgomery, partner and co-founder of The Collingwood Group. Ted Chandler, chief operating officer of AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust will also serve as a panel moderator.
The Policy Summit follows NHCâs annual Housing Person of the Year Gala, with a strong turnout expected in NHCâs 80th anniversary year. According to Maureen Friar, President and CEO of NHC, this yearâs honorees, Professor Retsinas and Sister Lillian Murphy, CEO of Mercy Housing, were chosen because they represent the themes of commitment, vision and opportunity that have shaped housing policy in America. âWe are pleased to honor the work of Nic and Sister Lillian at this event where we pledge to continue our commitment to provide safe, decent, affordable housing for all,â said Friar. More than 800 people are expected to join NHC and industry leaders at the Gala.
About the National Housing Conference
As the United Voice for Housing, the nonprofit National Housing Conference (NHC) has been dedicated to helping ensure safe, decent and affordable housing for all in America since 1931
National Housing Conference and Center for Housing Policy
202-466-2121 ext. 240
- National Housing Trust Fund Campaign Applauds Administration’s Report on Federal Housing Finance Reform
February 14, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- The Obama Administrationâs report to Congress on âReforming Americaâs Housing Finance Marketâ proposes important measures to address the long-neglected shortage of rental housing that is affordable for the lowest income Americans...
- MBA’s National Policy Conference General Session to Feature HUD Secretary Donovan, Senator Menendez and Representative Garrett
WASHINGTON, D.C. - March 23, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) WHAT:The Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA) 2011 National Policy ConferenceOn March 30-31, 2011 the real estate finance industry will convene in Washington, D.C. to educate the Administration and the Congress on issues that matter most to our industry. MBA's National Policy Conference 2011 gives attendees the opportunity to speak directly to lawmakers about...
- NYHC/NHC Host 37th Annual Awards Luncheon; Honors William Frey With Clara Fox Award for Dedication to Affordable Housing
New York, NY - December 13, 2010 - (RealEstateRama) -- The New York Housing Conference (NYHC) and the National Housing Conference (NHC) hosted the 37th Annual Awards Luncheon, one of the largest gatherings of housing professionals in the nation, today, Thursday, December 9, 2010, at the Hilton New York in Manhattan....
- Housing Policy Council Statement on Administrationâs Proposal for GSE Reform
Washington, D.C. - February 14, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- In response to the Administration's release of its report, âReforming Americaâs Housing Finance Marketâ, John H. Dalton, President of the Housing Policy Council issued this statement:...
- Register for MBA’s State of Real Estate Finance Industry Media Conference Call
WASHINGTON, D.C. - January 7, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) WHAT: The Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA) Annual State of the Real Estate Finance Industry Media Conference Call.Among the issues MBA representatives will discuss are the state of the industry, MBA's legislative and regulatory agenda for 2011 (including Dodd-Frank Act Implementation, GSE/secondary market reform, tax reform and residential loan servicing) and MBA's new...
- ERC and NCLR Investigation Uncovers Housing Discrimination against Latinos in Three Major Metropolitan Areas
- NAHB Professional Women in Building Council Now Accepting Entries for Annual Awards Program
- NAHB Revamps its Green Awards for 2014
- John Troughton Joins Kennedy Wilson Brokerage Group as Vice President
- Banker & Tradesman: MassHousing Closes On $9.3M Loans For Affordable Housing In Dorchester
- Updater and zipLogix Partner to Simplify the Moving Process
- RealtorsÂŽ Environmental Summit Evaluates Potential Risks to Real Estate
- Gov. Strengthens Opportunities for Veterans
- RAINBOW HOUSING ASSISTANCE CORPORATION SUCCESSFULLY SIGNS SEVEN NEW CONTRACTS IN THE FIRST HALF OF 2014
- JULIĂN CASTRO SWORN IN AS SECRETARY FOR THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT
- President Signs Into Law Udall, Polis Bill to Expand Workforce Housing in Summit County