17 Honored, Nexus EnergyHomes, Ferrier Builders Take Top Honors
Orlando, FL – February 13, 2012 – (RealEstateRama) — With the current state of the national economy, consumers are looking for ways to reduce costs wherever they can – operation of their homes is certainly no exception. In direct response to their customers’ needs, and their own desire to “do the right thing,” many home builders and remodelers have taken strides to incorporate features that make homes more energy efficient, comfortable, cost-effective to operate and maintain, and generally more friendly to the natural environment. Wednesday night, at a unique celebration held the first night of the 2012 International Builders’ Show, an elite group of these consciecious residential professionals received EnergyValue Housing Awards (EVHA)for new and existing homes.
Now in its 17th year, the EVHA challenges builders to elevate standards for energy-efficient new construction and remodeling; provides educational opportunities for building professionals; and fosters the adoption of energy efficiency principles. Winners are selected from projects in three climate regions (Cold, Moderate, Hot) and five categories (Affordable, Custom/Demonstration, Multifamily, Production, and Existing Homes).
This year 17 builders and remodelers from 12 states were selected to receive a 2012 EVHA. From among all the gold award winners, Nexus EnergyHomes,Inc. (gold award in New, Production Homes, Moderate Climate category) of Frederick, Md., was selected as this year’s Builder of the Year, and Ferrier Builders, Inc. (gold award in Existing, Reconstruction/Demonstration Homes, Hot Climate category) of Fort Worth, Texas, was selected as Remodeler of the Year. Stitt Energy Systems, Inc., of Rogers, Ark., captured the People’s Choice award by garnering the most online votes prior to the award ceremony, and also received a silver award in the Moderate Climate, New Custom/Demonstration Home category.
This year’s other gold and silver award winners are:
- Armstrong Builders, LLC, Honolulu, Hawaii – SILVER, New Affordable Category, Hot Climate
- Colorado Dream Homes Inc.,, Pagosa Springs, Colo. – SILVER, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Cold Climate
- CVH dba Clifton View Homes, Coupeville, Wash. – SILVER, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Moderate Climate
- Ferrier Custom Homes, Fort Worth, Texas – SILVER, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Hot Climate
- Flynner Building Company, Boise, Idaho – GOLD, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Cold Climate
- Josh Wynne Construction, Sarasota, Fla. – GOLD, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Hot Climate
- G Street, Inc., Scottsdale, Ariz. – SILVER, Existing Single-Family Category, Hot Climate
- GreenPinkies, LLC, Fayetteville, Ark. – SILVER, Existing Reconstruction/Demonstration Category, Moderate Climate
- Habitat for Humanity South Sarasota County, Inc., Venice, Fla. – SILVER, Existing Reconstruction/ Demonstration Category, Hot Climate
- Kirby Nagelhout Construction & Zero-Energy Plans, Mitchell, Ore. – GOLD, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Cold Climate
- LaMirada Homes by Michael Ginsburg, Tucson, Ariz. – GOLD, New Production Category, Hot Climate
- Lend Lease, Fort Campbell, Ky. – SILVER, New Multifamily Category, Moderate Climate
- Scott Homes, Inc., Olympia, Wash. – GOLD, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Cold Climate
- TAG Mechanical Systems, Inc., Syracuse, N.Y. – SILVER, Existing Single-Family Category, Cold Climate
“The quality of this year’s slate of award-winning builders and remodelers is outstanding,” said NAHB Research Center president, Michael Luzier. “With innovative industry leaders like this as examples, the mission of the EVHA program and the efforts of its partners to expand the focus on environmental consciousness and energy efficiency among builders and remodelers will continue to flourish.”
The EVHA program is managed by the NAHB Research Center, and supported by the U.S. Department of Energy through its Building America program, the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). This year’s award sponsors include: Platinum Sponsor BASF – The Chemical Company; Gold Sponsors Vinyl Siding Institute, Inc. with Progressive Foam Technologies, Inc., DuPont, Icynene, Inc., and Reflectix, Inc.; Silver Sponsors Whirlpool Corporation and SEISCO International Limited; and In-Kind Sponsors BuildingGreen, Inc., Fine Homebuilding, and GreenBuildingAdvisor.com.
For information on each winning company’s home, visit www.nahbrc.org/evha. For more information on the EVHA program, contact Debra Sagan, program manager, at or (800) 638-8556, ext. 6210.
ABOUT THE NAHB RESEARCH CENTER: The NAHB Research Center, located in Upper Marlboro, Md., promotes innovation in housing technology to improve the quality, durability, affordability, and environmental performance of homes and home building products. Created nearly 50 years ago as a subsidiary of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), the NAHB Research Center has established itself as the source for reliable, objective information and research on housing construction and development issues. Through its various testing and certification services, the Research Center seal is internationally-recognized as a mark of product quality and an assurance of product performance.
Anne Holtz Schmick