USDA Seeks Applications to Expand Economic Development in Rural Communities

Washington, DC – May 15, 2015 – (RealEstateRama) — Agriculture Under Secretary Lisa Mensah today announced that USDA is seeking applications for grants to support rural community economic development.“USDA funding will ensure training is available for those who wish to improve the quality of life in rural communities,” Mensah said. “Very often, great visions for better rural communities exist, but the next steps toward positive change are unclear. These grants will help rural communities build a path to community economic development so rural America can share in the nation’s economic recovery.”

Approximately $4 million is expected to be available under the Rural Community Development Initiative (RCDI) program. Eligible applicants include public or private intermediaries, non-profit organizations and nationally recognized tribal organizations.

RCDI grants can be used to provide or create a program of technical tools and assistance. Training may be focused on homeownership education, minority business entrepreneurship, strategic community planning or accessing alternative funding sources.

Grant amounts range from $50,000 to $250,000. This program continues to benefit rural communities and organizations.  Since 2009 it has invested more than $35.2 million through the RCDI program. In 2013 the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma received a $150,000 grant to create and provide education about buying and maintaining a home to 50 Native American women in the community of Broken Bow.

For information on how to apply contact your Rural Development state office or see Page 27887 of the 5/15 Federal Register.

President Obama’s plan for rural America has brought about historic investment and resulted in stronger rural communities. Under the President’s leadership, these investments in housing, community facilities, businesses and infrastructure have empowered rural America to continue leading the way – strengthening America’s economy, small towns and rural communities.


USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).

Previous articleNAMB Joins Other Mortgage Industry Leaders in Calling for Grace Period on TRID